Wednesday 12 June 2013

Week 1 Response

1. Throughout the course, please keep in mind that the medium is not the message. Distance education is not about learning and using technology and the curriculum of this course is also not about learning technology. Please read The Medium is Not the Message and post your thoughts.
            
In the article, “The Medium is Not the Message”, Donald Ely makes many significant points, reminding readers of the primary importance of course content and curriculum in education.  As educators in the 21st century, we encounter many new and exciting opportunities for educating our students with media and technology. Media such as DVDs, podcasts, computer software, and computer networking, have also allowed educational opportunities for individuals who would otherwise be deprived of such access. In doing so, we must be mindful that the medium is not the message.  Ely cautions us “not to lose sight of the content and design of the material in our rush to use the newest and most engaging medium”. Ely also reminds readers of the vital role that teachers play in distance education.  He states, “The medium itself does not teach, but the organization and presentation of content, combined with high levels of interactivity on the part of the learner and feedback from an authority…are elements of a distance learning system”. I have never delivered a distance course. My only experiences with distance education are as a student in university and with students who take courses with Nova Scotia Virtual School (NSVS). Through my experience, I can say that I am in agreement with Ely, that the teacher is vital to distance education. While I feel the organization and delivery are very important, it has been the interaction within my courses and the feedback that has fueled my success.  Without having my peers and a teacher to correspond with, I would have felt lost along the way.
  
2. If you were to choose one particular learning theory that best fits direct instruction, which would it be and why?
          
I think behaviorism is the learning theory that best fits direct learning. Behaviorism is a learning theory that suggests learners are passive individuals, responding only to their environment.  Starting as a “blank slate” and shaped through positive and negative reinforcement, the likelihood of behaviours can be affected.  This theory of learning follows with direct learning because it does not assume that students will develop their own insights; rather, that direct instructions will systematically take them through the steps of learning a specific concept or task, helping them to see the purpose and the result of each step.

3. If you were to choose one particular learning theory that best fits the constructivist approach, which would it be and why?
         
I think constructivism is the learning theory that that best fits the constructivist approach. Constructivism is a learning theory that suggests learners construct their own knowledge based on experiences, rather than acquiring it.  This theory does not follow that each individual is a blank slate, but an individual with past and personal experiences. This theory fits the constructivist approach, which emphasizes teachers as facilitators, encourages interaction through group work, supports research that involves open-ended questions, and offers creative assessment opportunities. 
   
4. By drawing upon past life and/or teaching experiences, where has direct instruction worked for you?
           
Direct instruction has worked for me in many instances where step by step instructions have been provided.  I have been learning by direct instruction since I was a child. IF I remember correctly, I think this is how my cousin taught me to braid my Barbie’s hair. She taught me each step, modeled it on her barbie, and watched as I fumbled a few times on mine. I learned many techniques in figure skating with direct instruction. In more recent(ish) years, I think of my driving lessons, my First Aid course, and my golf swing, all of which required me to listen to instructions, follow the lead of my instructor, practice, and receive feedback (good or bad).  

5. By drawing upon past life and/or teaching experiences, where has the constructivist style worked for you?
 
I use the constructivist approach in my classroom regularly. My classroom configuration is a horse shoe shape so that we can all see and hear one another.  I think that it is important that students construct their own learning, as it gives them a sense of ownership in their education.  It may be something as simple as researching an element or genetic disorder of their choice, or creating a portfolio of their math work.  I often have students work in strategically created groups on daily problems and assignments to encourage interaction and to promote learning from each other, and not just from a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment