Thursday 13 June 2013

My Personal Reflections

The final assignment in Education 5103 is a reflection paper that asks us to review our learning and the ideas and issues related to the course.  In my personal reflections, I will reflect on my experience in this course and consider the four guiding questions provided to us for this reflective paper:

1. What have I done in this course?


2. What have I learned in this course?


3. What changes in perspectives have I experienced as a result of this course?


4. What does it all mean to me now?


Weeks 1 and 2 – Learning Theories in the Context of Software Integration/Information                      Technology

The course began with us reviewing learning theories.  While I have learned about behaviourism, cognitivism, and constructivism in past Psychology and Education courses many years ago, it was still necessary for me to take a close look at each theory.  I found a good website: Learning-Theories.com, which provided me quick references to each of these learning theories, along with some other learning theories. As I read through the required readings and thought about my past experiences as a student and now as a teacher, I recognized that I understood much more about these learning theories than I had several years ago.  Through my experiences as a teacher, I have been able to utilize different approaches from these learning theories. I can't say that I favour or follow any one learning theory. Rather, in my classes I try to incorporate components from various theories and provide scaffolding to ensure activities and lessons allow students to reach instructional targets.   

As a student in the education system in the late 80s and the 90s, I remember most of my education following a direct instruction approach. Direct instruction is linked to behaviourism and the work of Thorndike and Skinner. Black (1995) indicates "human behaviour is a product of the Stimulus-Response interaction and that behavior is modifiable." While this approach seemed to work well for me, as I enjoyed school and excelled, as a teacher, I recognize now that this approach does not always work for every student and for every concept.  I think that it is important that I consider all learning theories depending on the learning objective I am addressing in my classes.  I don't believe that one learning theory is superior over another because each are appropriate in education for various situations.  As a math teacher, I often find direct instruction is an easy approach to implement, as it follows the approach of our education system – chronological curriculum, reporting systems, and standardized assessments.  This was a discussion brought up in our Week 1 forum. 

Constructivism sees the teacher serve as a facilitator, with students at the centre of their learning.  This approach provides students the opportunity to construct their understanding, with the teacher providing appropriate scaffolding in advance based on the cognitive stage and prior knowledge of each student. Nagowah & Nagowah (2009) state: "This method of learning involves cooperative learning, experimentation, open-ended problems and real life scenarios in which the learners discover learning on their own through active involvement with concepts and principles" (p. 278). A constructivist approach is practical, and one which can easily be supported by the many technologies that are available to us in our classrooms.  As suggested in our reading, "The Medium Is Not the Message" by Donald Ely, these tools for learning should be integrated into classrooms to present course curriculum. Not only do they support learning , they serve to engage and motivate students.  Rogers and Withrow-Thorton (2005) suggest that "Motivation is an important element required for learning. Education must have a variety of instructional media and teaching formats available to present information. Selecting a medium that motivates learners is an important consideration" (p. 333).


Week 3: How Learning Theory Affects Software

In this week’s assignment, we had the option of researching and discussing questions related to either instructional software or application software.  Since I knew very little about either of these types of software, I randomly selected instructional software. I began my research using the provided resources before realizing that I needed to back up, because my understanding of the term “software” needed some assistance. When I think of the term software, I think of computer programs that you purchase to use for various reasons. I envision a fancy box that you might purchase from a computer store. I was thinking Geometer’s Sketchpad, Microsoft Word, Sunburst’s Virtual Labs software.  After speaking with a colleague at work, I came to realize that software has changed its form over the years and can be found outside of a box and even within most websites.

Not only did I learn about instructional software through my assignment, I learned about application software by reading through my group forum. I realized that I am using many forms of software in my classroom for teaching and learning without even giving it much thought.  This is something that I must begin to give more consideration.  With a new understanding of software and a better appreciation of learning theories, I will now give more thought to the appropriateness of software for lesson activities.  Through this assignment, I also gathered a lot of great websites from teachers who are have found drill and practice software, instructional games, and problem solving software within these websites.  I appreciate teachers sharing their resources and I am always willing to share mine as well.

This week was an important week for our group, “The Noble Nobels”, as we started throwing out ideas for our instructional design model on the group collaboration forum. After doing some brainstorming, we agreed on constructing a model that followed a flipped classroom approach.  We liked the idea because we wanted a topic that was unique, current, and it integrated technology. We began researching the flipped classroom, posting resources, and having discussions to prepare for our online weekend meeting.  By using WebEx, we were able to chat, webcam, and physically draw our graphical representation all together.  I was VERY surprised at the progress we made.  We were able to develop the rough draft of our model together, and determined that Brian and I would develop and infographic to display the information of our “Flipped Model” graphical representation.  

Weeks 4 and 5: Introduction to Instructional Design Concepts and Components

During weeks 4 and 5 we focused on instructional design concepts and components.  Prior to this course, I did not know what an instructional design model was, nor was I aware of the many existing models. I had, however, started researching concepts early for our group project, and began considering how these models might aid in developing our model, “The Flipped Model”. Another thing that I considered as I read about various ID models was that I am implementing components of these models everyday in my teaching, without even having a knowledge of these models. For example, in many of the models, components included identifying lesson objectives, assessing students, determining what forms of media will be utilized to deliver lesson content, gathering student feedback, and evaluating students and the success of the lesson.  These are steps that I regularly take as I carry out my everyday lesson plans. As I read more about instructional design models, I came to prefer certain models over others. I found the ADDIE and ASSURE models were practical and could easily incorporate technology. 




In module 5, we were asked to discuss what we thought were essential components of instructional design.  I stated that I felt the components of ADDIE: analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation are essential to instructional design. I also stated that I felt a revision component should be added. The ASSURE model includes an evaluate and revise phase, which sees teachers reflect upon the stated objectives, content, strategies, activities, and assessment, determining if they were effective and revising them until students become successful learners.  Another ID model we discussed and that interested me was Rapid Prototyping.  Gustafson & Branch (2007) explain that Rapid Prototyping was initially used to create new products and interfaces in the software development field.  Rapid Prototyping is useful in education because it reduces the amount of front-end work and increases the number of tryouts and revisions.  I see the usefulness of Rapid Prototyping, as it deals with the major issue of time constraints.  I also see its importance in education as teachers rely on students for feedback to gauge the success of a lesson or activity, and to make appropriate revisions. I looked at a number of other ID models, including Dick and Carey, Gagne's Nine Events of Instruction, and the ICARE model. I felt it was important for me to review various models to gain a solid understanding of instructional design models and to contribute to my groups' development of our ID model.

We submitted the draft of our instructional design model this week.  We worked VERY hard as a team to develop our model, the Flipped Model. Our model was developed to support teachers interested in using a "flipped classroom" approach. As stated by Doucette, Muise-LeBlanc, Radkey & Thorton (2013):

                 The flipped classroom (also known as reverse instruction) refers
                 to a course in which the instructor delivers a percentage of the
                
content online outside of the physical classroom by exploring
                
ways technology integration can be used to provide instructors
                 
with more flexibility and time in their classrooms. The purpose
                
of flipping instruction is to free up class time so that it can be
                
used more effectively to group learners together to practice,
                
collaborate and problem solve, thereby maximizing their learning.
                
In other words, that which is traditionally done in class is now
                
done at home, and that which is traditionally done as homework
                
is now completed in class, with instructor support.
Creating our own instructional design model allowed me to develop a deeper understanding of ID models. It forced me to determine the details of each component in our model and allowed me to consider how IT could be integrated into instructional design.  What I gained from this experience, collaborating with my group, was far more than what I could have ever gained from working on my own. My group was very supportive and together we had many strengths that complemented one another and aided in the development of our model. This experience was a prime example of how a constructive approach supports learning.




Week 6: Inspection and Critique of an IT-ID Model

Week six was a busy week! During this week we were responsible for providing feedback to our classmates regarding their instructional design models. This feedback was very important because it will be helpful in assisting everyone in the next task of assessing the effectiveness of our models and making revisions to our models. It was very interesting to see all of the different ID models that my classmates had created.  While each model had its own unique features, each model also (not surprisingly) had many similarities.  Most of the models seemed to encompass many of the components of ADDIE, and each model considered the importance of the integration of technology, although varying degrees.  Some of the groups chose to follow a more linear approach in their model, such as Group LEFT's "LEFT Model", while other groups created a model which followed a more cyclical approach, such as The Wolfpack Crew's "IDDIA Model".  Throughout the week I provided feedback and read through posts that classmates were providing.   I thought that everyone was very supportive and offered great constructive criticism.

In general, our classmates provided us great reviews on our Flipped Model.  They commented that we had chosen a "unique" and "interesting" concept,  and they suggested their interest in implementing this approach. A couple of individuals expressed their concern for the appropriateness of the flipped classroom for certain grade levels.  We had questions about whether we had personally used a flipped classroom approach.  These were all great questions; however, we did not get any feedback from classmates as to how we may be able to make any revisions to our model.  This meant we really had to think hard to come up with our revision.  We decided that we may have worked too hard and perfected our draft. However, after a couple hours of collaborating over another WebEx meeting, we decided that it was important that we explicitly link the Flipped Model to the principle of 21st century learning.



The weekly discussion related to the NTeQ model is important to mention in my reflection because of its main focus on the integration of computer technology in the classroom (Morrison, et. al, 1999). As I reviewed each group's model and I considered the varying degrees of technology integration, I began to feel that the NTeQ may have been helpful earlier on in our readings. I actually came across this model during my early research and I began to think of the importance of IT not in just one or two phases of a model, but in every phase of an ID model.  In our Flipped Model, the Media phases specifically requires IT; however, IT may also be used in any of the other phases as outlined in our infographic. 



Week 7: The Future of ID in Instructional Technology

The focus of our final week was on assessment and evaluation.  What I gained from this week was more than an understanding of concepts, but a reminder of how I should be conducting myself as a teacher. It is interesting that assessment and evaluation have very different meanings, but are still used interchangeably. While assessment is more likely ongoing and process-oriented, evaluation is more summative and product-oriented.  This week was a reminder to me not to get too comfortable with a specific measurement because it is easy, but to remember the importance of the triangulation of assessment.  While our education system may not always support a constructive approach to educating our students, it is important that teachers implement this approach.  And if we are going to use various approaches in educating students, we must use various forms of measuring our students' understanding. 

When I mentioned in a discussion that I wanted to focus on implementing more observation and conversation assessments in my classes, my classmates were very supportive by giving suggestions and resources.  They suggested sites for checklists, rubrics, and online portfolios.  Some classmates also mentioned that they, too, felt that they had developed a strong amount of product assessments, and were needing to enhance their observation and conversation assessments.  I believe that a focus on product is mainly a result of our very data-driven education system that is looking for results (as we most often follow our linear curriculum guides). I believe that we too often focus on the end product, and not on what is achieved in getting there. These issues were a focus of mine when I discussed the pressures of teaching to the test and the pressures of provincial assessments and provincial examinations.

After seven weeks in this course, my main thought regarding ID with respect to information technology is that the two should be integrated for the benefit of both the student and the teacher.  As we expressed in our revised Flipped Model, we truly believe 21st century students must be active participants in their learning, and provided opportunities to develop critical-thinking skills, problem-solving skills and high-level thinking.  Today's students will enter a rapidly changing world that will require them to think fast and use all of the resources that are available to them. Like no other generation, our students have instant access to almost any information, and we as teachers need to educate them on how to use this information to educate themselves. As teachers, we are responsible for guiding our students and providing them with real life situations and challenges through a constructive environment.


Reflecting on my experiences throughout this course I can say I have learned a lot through my discussions in my group forum and within my group, the Noble Nobels. I have been reminded of various learning theories and how my understanding of learning theories has developed with my experience as a teacher.  I have learned about instructional design and various models and worked hard within my group to develop our own Flipped Model.  Through this new formed understanding of ID models, I am more aware of the phases that should be employed in order for a lesson or unit to be successful.  I have a better appreciation for IT in each phase of the teaching-learning process, and I have gained resources and ideas through the support of my classmates.  I have been reminded of the value in providing my students the opportunity for constructive learning and in developing 21st century learning principles.  Most importantly, I have been reminded to continually reflect on the teaching and learning that is occurring within my classroom.  As John Dewey once stated, "We don't learn from experience. We learn from reflecting on experience." 


References

Black, E. (1995). Behaviorism as a learning theory. Retrieved June 14, 2013 from    
          http://courseware.cbu.ca/moodle/file.php?file=%2F672%2Fbehaviorism.html
Doucette, B. Muise-LeBlanc, L., Radkey, L. & Thorton, R. (2013). The flipped model. 
         Retrieved June 22, 2013 from https://sites.google.com/site/noblenobels/

Ely, D. (1999). The medium is not the message. Library and Information Science and
         Educational Technology, 20(2).

Gustafson, K., & Branch, R. (1997). Revisioning models of instructional development. 
Jonassen, D.H., Carr, C. & Yueh, H. (1998). Computers as mindtools for engaging learners in
          critical thinking.
 TechTrends, 43(2) 24-32.
          
Morrison, G.R. et al. (1999). Teacher as designer. Integrating Computer Technolgoy into 
          the Classroom
, pp. 37-60. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall. (Chapter 3)

Nagowah, L., & Nagowah, S., (2009). A reflection on the dominant learning theories:
          Behaviourism, cognitivisim, and constructivism
. International Journal of Learning, 16(2), 

          279-285. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.
Rogers, D. & Withrow-Thorton, B (2005). The effects of instructional media on learner
          motivation
. International Journal of Instructional Media, 32(4), 333-342.

Vincent, T. (2012). Education and technology quotes. Retrieved June 15, 2013 from  
          http://slideshare.net/tonyvincent/education-technology-quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment